Time Off

Wake Forest recognizes that the ongoing demands on the pandemic response have made it difficult for some colleagues to step away from responsibilities and use accrued PTO. To accommodate these challenges, the university has developed a plan for PTO carryforward from 2021 into 2022, outlined below: 

  • PTO Leave Bank: The implementation of a PTO leave bank will allow the retention of excess PTO, up to 120 hours. This leave bank can be used for vacation, personal, or sick time and will expire December 31, 2024. Additional details about how the leave bank operates, calculating PTO, and best practices are outlined in the Paid Time Off (PTO) Guide.
  • PTO Recording, Accrual, and Use: The PTO Policy has been revised to reflect the requirement that staff must record time off in the university’s time-keeping system, Workday, to be eligible for PTO carryforward and/or payouts. The revision also reflects the continuation of non-exempt staff to borrow up to their full annual accrual prior to accruing it. 

Time Off Icon

Wake Forest University offers:

Paid Time Off (PTO) and Holidays

PTO Amount Icon

PTO Amount

Exempt: Five weeks (25 days) if employed by the University less than five years; six weeks (30 days) if employed by the University five years or more, but less than 10 years; seven weeks (35 days) if employed by the University 10 or more years.

Non-exempt: Accrual based on the schedule in the Guidebook.

PTO Uses Icon

PTO Uses

Vacations, non-work related short-term injuries/illnesses of five days or less, personal business, family care, other needs.

Reynolda Campus Holidays Icon

Reynolda Campus Holidays

New Year’s Day
Martin Luther King Day
Good Friday
Memorial Day
Independence Day
Labor Day*
Thanksgiving Holiday
Winter Holiday

*Classes in session.

Requesting PTO

Staff should submit PTO requests via Workday.


Parental Leave (Staff)

Six Weeks Icon

6 or 8 Weeks

Wake Forest University offers eight weeks of base salary continuation for the birthing parent and six weeks for the non-birthing/adoptive parent. The parental leave allows for the healthy recovery of the birthing parent, bonding with the adopted child and/or a period of family adjustment. 

Timing Icon


The leave may occur before (e.g., an absence for travel or a required class) or after the birth or adoption.

Faculty Leave Icon

Faculty Leave

Log into Workday to submit your Faculty Parental/Adoption Leave request and contact us with questions.

Requesting Parental Leave

  1. Provide written notice to your Department Head and Supervisor.
  2. Log into Workday to submit your Staff Parental/Adoption Leave and Family and Medical Leave requests.

Family and Medical Leave (FML)

12 Weeks Icon

12 Weeks

As an eligible faculty or staff member, you may take up to 12 weeks of FML for a variety of reasons related to serious health conditions and qualifying exigencies (for involvement in the Armed Forces or National Guard).

26 Weeks Icon

26 Weeks

You may take up to 26 weeks of leave during a single 12-month period to care for a covered service member, including a veteran, when you are the spouse, son, daughter, parent, or next of kin of the covered service member.

Paid vs. Unpaid Icon

Paid vs. Unpaid

Your individual situation will determine whether the leave is paid or unpaid, as well as the duration.

Requesting Family & Medical Leave

  1. Provide written notice to your Department Head and Supervisor (at least 30 days notice if the leave is foreseeable by 30 days).
  2. Log into Workday to submit your Family and Medical Leave request.
  3. Complete and send the following to Human Resources:
    – Certification of Health Care Provider (if caring for yourself) OR
    – Certification of Health Care Provider for Family Members (if caring for a family member)
    (Complete Section II and provide the form to a medical provider to complete Section III.) 



Wake Forest University Human Resources
2598 Reynolda Rd, Winston-Salem, NC 27106  |  P.O. Box 7424
AskHR@wfu.edu   |  P (336) 758-4700 |  F (336) 758-6127

Se habla español.

Recruit. Retain. Develop.

Twitter Icon   Facebook Icon   Instagram Icon   LinkedIn Icon   YouTube Icon