The majority of your benefits may only be elected/changed during Annual Benefits Enrollment or if a qualifying life event change occurs. Other offerings may be elected/changed throughout the year.
Life Event Changes
Outside Annual Benefits Enrollment, you may only make changes to certain elections if you have a qualifying life event change.
Additionally, Wake Forest offers a number of benefit plans that may be elected, changed, or canceled throughout the year.
Annual Benefits Enrollment
Each Fall you have the opportunity to review your elections and make changes for the coming plan year. Ensure that you complete the Open Enrollment Change task in your Workday inbox by the enrollment deadline if you are changing benefit elections, adding or removing a dependent(s), and/or planning to enroll or re-enroll in a Flexible Spending Account. If you are adding a dependent(s) or eligible spouse, you will be required to submit verification documents via Workday by the enrollment deadline.
Life Event Changes
Life event changes allow you to make certain election changes outside Annual Benefits Enrollment. Generally, your changes will become effective on the date of your qualifying event (date of birth, marriage, etc.). You have 30 days from the date of the qualifying event to submit an enrollment form; otherwise, you must wait until the next Annual Benefits Enrollment period to make changes. If you are adding a dependent(s) or eligible spouse, you will be required to submit verification documents via Workday within 30 days of the event. Qualifying events include:
- Death of spouse, divorce, legal separation or annulment
- Gain or loss of an eligible dependent for reasons such as birth, adoption, placement for adoption, or death
- Dependent satisfies or no longer satisfies eligibility requirements for reasons such as reaching the dependent age limit
- Change in spouse’s employment affecting benefits eligibility
- Change in spouse’s benefits coverage with another employer that affects benefits eligibility
- Change in faculty or staff work status
- Eligibility for enrollment in Medicare/Medicaid
- Children’s Health Insurance Plan (CHIP) eligible
- Change in residence (applies only to Dependent Care Flexible Spending Account)
Wake Forest offers the below benefit plans that may be elected, changed, or canceled throughout the year. New enrollments or increases to life insurance coverage amounts may require a medical history application. Throughout-the-year changes include:
- Voluntary life insurance
- Voluntary dependent life insurance
- Voluntary accidental death & dismemberment (AD&D)
- Long-term care insurance
- NC 529 College Savings Plan
- Retirement plan
- Deferred Compensation Plan
Wake Forest University Human Resources
2598 Reynolda Rd, Winston-Salem, NC 27106 | P.O. Box 7424
AskHR@wfu.edu | P (336) 758-4700 | F (336) 758-6127
Se habla español.