Universal immunization against influenza during the COVID-19 era will help to reduce the burden on and resources of the healthcare systems on and off campus. While influenza itself does not directly affect the transmission of COVID-19, an outbreak of influenza could significantly reduce the university’s ability to address COVID-19 as these infections are anticipated to occur simultaneously. Symptoms of COVID-19 and influenza are very similar and evaluation for these conditions may require utilization of healthcare systems, PPE, and possible need for isolation pending results of testing.
Additional Flu Shot Dates: November 9 and 11
Wake Forest University will be offering two additional drive-through flu shot clinics at LJVM Coliseum, free for all faculty, staff, and retirees. Spouses and dependent children (8 years and older), who are enrolled in the university’s BlueCross BlueShield medical plan are also eligible.
Monday, November 9 | LJVM Coliseum | 8:00 am – Noon
Wednesday, November 11 | LJVM Coliseum | 1:00 – 4:30 pm
Wake Forest University will be offering free flu shots to all faculty, staff, and retirees from September 21 through October 19. Spouses and dependent children (8 years and older), who are enrolled in the university’s BlueCross BlueShield medical plan are also eligible.
New this year – Mandatory Influenza Vaccine Policy
Universal immunization against influenza during the COVID-19 era will help to reduce the burden on resources of the healthcare systems on and off campus while also promoting the health and wellbeing of the campus community. This policy requires all faculty, staff, and students receive a flu shot and submit documentation by December 15. Faculty and staff may request a medical, religious, or off-site exemption by completing the Influenza Vaccine Exemption Request Form.
WFU-Sponsored Flu Shots Clinics
Advanced registration is required through the Professional Development Center (PDC) website. The deadline to register is by 2:00 p.m. the day prior to the scheduled flu shot clinic. Bring a completed Flu Shot Consent Form (Download in English or Spanish) with you to your visit.
New this year – Drive-through Flu Shot Clinics
In addition to on-campus flu shot clinics, WFU is offering a drive-through flu shot location at LJVM Coliseum* (2825 University Pkwy, Winston-Salem NC 27105) to accommodate off-site colleagues, retirees, and family members. The drive-through clinic is not recommended for first time flu shots, for those who do not respond well to them, or for those that have anxiety about needles.
Access to campus is restricted to those who are actively working on campus or who are completing the SneezSafe Daily Wellness Screening and have been approved to come to campus. We ask that employees who have requested a SneezSafe exemption, as well as retirees and family members utilize the drive-through clinic.
Flu Shot Dates
- Monday, Sept. 21 | 8am – 4pm | Sutton Center, 4th Floor Gym
- Tuesday, Sept. 22 | 10am – Noon | Charlotte Center, Rooms 106/107
- Wednesday, Sept. 23 | 7am – 3pm | Sutton Center, 4th Floor Gym
- Tuesday, Sept. 29 | 9am – 5pm | LJVM Coliseum Drive-Through*
- Thursday, Oct. 1 | 9am – 5pm | LJVM Coliseum Drive-Through*
- Monday, Oct. 5 | 8am – 4pm | Sutton Center, 4th Floor Gym
- Wednesday, Oct. 7 | 11am – 7pm | Sutton Center, 4th Floor Gym
- Tuesday, Oct. 13 | 9am – 5pm | University Corporate Center, Room B1110
- Thursday, Oct. 15 | 9am – 5pm | University Corporate Center, Room B1110
- Monday, Oct. 19 | 8am – 4pm | Graylyn Management House
- Documentation: Bring a completed Flu Shot Consent Form (download in English or Spanish).
- Safety: Individuals are required to wear a mask. The drive-through clinic requires all individuals in the vehicle to wear a mask.
- Identification: Faculty, staff, and retirees should bring their Deacon OneCard. Spouses and dependent children should bring their BCBS insurance card.
- Attire & Seating: Wear clothing that allows easy access to the upper arm. Short sleeves are preferred. The drive-through clinic requires the recipient to be seated at a window or door that can be opened.
Faculty and staff have three options for receiving flu shots and submitting documentation. All faculty and staff must submit documentation of receiving a flu shot OR request an exemption from the policy by December 15, 2020, to be in compliance with the university’s Mandatory Influenza Vaccine Policy.
Option 1: WFU-sponsored flu shot clinic
Faculty and staff may choose to take advantage of the WFU-sponsored free flu shot clinics by register for a time on the PDC website. Those who choose this option will have their flu shot record updated automatically with Wake Forest Baptist Health.
Option 2: OptumRx pharmacy benefit
Faculty and staff may also receive a flu shot through a local pharmacy or primary care provider’s office using OptumRx’s pharmacy benefit. Download and print the flu shot record by following these steps:
- Go to OptumRx
- Click, Benefits and Claims (top toolbar)
- Click, Claim History
- This will display all prescriptions
- On the flu shot record, click on the “claim detail” and print the record
Flu shot documentation should be emailed to Whitney Berry (email@example.com) or it may be dropped off at the Faculty and Staff Clinic (743-223-4217) located at 2430A Reynolda Road, Monday through Friday from 8:00 am to 4:30 pm.
Option 3: Local pharmacy or primary care provider
Alternatively, faculty and staff may request a copy of the flu shot record at the location it was administered. Flu shot documentation should be emailed to Whitney Berry (firstname.lastname@example.org) or it may be dropped off at the Faculty and Staff Clinic (743-223-4217) located at 2430A Reynolda Road, Monday through Friday from 8:00 am to 4:30 pm.
- Medical Exemption: Additional form to be completed by a physician is required.
- Religious Exemption: Brief written statement explaining the religious beliefs and opposition to the immunization requirement.
- Off-site Exemption: Colleagues who will not be participating in activities or working on-site at any Wake Forest University campus or property prior to April 1, 2021 may request exemption.
Wake Forest University Human Resources
2598 Reynolda Rd, Winston-Salem, NC 27106 | P.O. Box 7424
AskHR@wfu.edu | P (336) 758-4700 | F (336) 758-6127
Se habla español.