Coverage begins the first of the month following or coincident with date of employment. Faculty and Staff have 30 days from date of hire to elect benefits.
Faculty Eligibility Criteria
- Full-time Faculty who work between 1,096 and 1,462 hours per year
- Part-time Faculty who work between 1,000 and 1,095 hours per year
Staff Eligibility Criteria
- Full-time Staff who work between 1,560 and 2,080 hours per year
- Part-time Staff who work between 1,000 and 1,559 hours per year
Post Doc Eligibility Criteria
- Full-time Post Doc who work between 1,560 and 2,080 hours per year
- Part-time Post Doc who work between 1,000 and 1,559 hours per year
Faculty and staff members can make changes to their health and welfare plans at certain times during the year.
Our health and welfare plans run on a fiscal year (July 1 – June 30). Each spring, we host our annual enrollment. This is the time when the university makes plan changes for the upcoming year and allows faculty and staff members to change their benefit elections. Each benefit eligible person is notified of this election period.
Faculty and staff members that experience a qualifying event are able to make changes to their health plan elections within 30 days of that event. Below is a list of qualifying events. The benefit change must match the type and date of the qualifying event. If adding a spouse and/or dependent child(ren), you will be required to submit verification documentation to ensure that they meet the eligibility criteria for our benefit plan(s). Human Resources will need a new election form, verification documentation for each covered dependent, and supporting documentation for the qualifying event.
- Gain or loss of an eligible dependent for reasons such as birth, adoption, placement for adoption, or death
- Dependent satisfies or no longer satisfies eligibility requirements for reasons such as reaching the dependent child age limit
- Changes in spouse’s employment affecting benefits eligibility
- Changes in spouse’s benefits coverage with another employer that affects benefits eligibility
- Change in employee work status
- Eligibility for enrollment in Medicare/Medicaid
- Children’s Health Insurance Plan (CHIP) eligible
Throughout the year health plan changes
During the year, changes can be made to the health plans listed below. In most cases, coverage can be decreased at any point. New enrollments or increases in coverage may require a medical history application.
- Voluntary life insurance
- Voluntary dependent life insurance
- Long-term care insurance
- NC 529 plan
- 403(b) retirement plan
- 457(b) deferred compensation plan