Frequently Asked Questions

Can I continue my Wake Forest health, dental and/or vision insurance after I leave the University?

Yes. Under COBRA, you may continue your existing health, dental, and/or vision insurance for up to 18 months. When you leave Wake Forest, your benefits will last through the end of the month in which you terminate. You will be responsible for the full premium payment (plus a 2% service charge). Departing faculty and staff members will receive a COBRA notice describing their rights and instructions on enrolling in COBRA.

Can I continue my Flexible Spending Account?

Yes. Under COBRA, you have the right to make Flexible Spending Account contributions (plus a 2% service charge) on an after-tax basis after your employment ends. This continuation maintains your annual election amount for the remainder of the year.

When and how will I be notified of my ability to elect COBRA?

If you are a departing faculty or staff member, you will be notified of your ability to elect COBRA through paperwork mailed to your home address. This paperwork will come  from our COBRA Administrator, Stanley, Hunt, DuPree and Rhine, approximately 14 days after your date of termination.




  • Health plan coverage ends the last day of the month in which the termination occurs
  • Life and Disability coverage ends on the date of termination